Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Sustainable Hot Dog Restaurant in Brooklyn


Yesterday I spotlighted a grocery store and now it's on to restaurants. Awhile ago (actually a long time ago) I got the chance to check out this place - Bark Hot Dogs - with my friend Mark, who writes on urban policy for Forbes and whom you should check out. This title is actually the query I googled to rediscover it. TimeOut New York says it has the best dogs in town, but I'm more into the business idea.

For what is, in essence, a fast food joint, they do well minimizing on packaging and have eliminated persistent waste. When I was there, everything was biodegradable and our food was served up on these charmingly lackluster cardboard troughs.

Perhaps most interesting, they list all their suppliers on their site, under the aptly named 'Resources Menu.' Their culinary repertoire is biased toward nearby farmers, largely from New England, with an occasional western state in there.

Other highlights include that they acquire all their energy from hyrdoelectric and wind power via a local utility and convert their cooking grease into biofuel. For me this establishment is a vision of the future, illustrating how it's already possible through existing services to keep all outputs - including conventional wastes - in the production loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment